The rumours have been out there for a long time and now it is finally here. Nikon has announced the new D3x. It’s a 24.5mp full frame camera based. The chip is running 14bit and puts out a 50mb raw file. This should keep most people happy even the people shooting for stock. The other specs. look pretty much like the D3. Same 51 point autofocus and 3″ LCD all powered by the EXPEED image processor.
The system will be able to do 5fps at this high resolution. If you need more speed you can go into crop mode. This will give you 7fps, the downside is you go down to 10mp. All in all this camera is no doubt created for studio use. The D3 was very good with the noise and we can only hope the D3x will be just as good. However some signs point to a little set back in this area. The camera iso range only goes from 100-1600 with the ability to boost to 50 and 6400.
All in all this looks like the new studio camera for the Nikon shooters out there. There is no big news but no doubt a worthy competer for the Canon 1Ds Mark III.
What you all want to see is properly a list of features so here we go, directly from Nikon.
- 24.5 megapixel FX format CMOS sensor with high signal-to-noise ratio, wide dynamic range and 12-channel readout.
- ISO 100 – 1600: extendable up to 6400 (equivalent) and down to ISO 50 (equivalent).
- 5fps consecutive shooting (7fps in DX Crop mode)
- EXPEED image processing engine with 14-bit A/D conversion and 16-bit image processing for superb tonal gradation.
- Advanced Scene Recognition System combines the camera’s metering and AF sensors for precise exposures and sharply defined images.
- Multi-CAM3500FX 51-point AF system. Individually selectable or configurable in 9-point, 21-point and 51-point coverage settings.
- Picture Controls streamline in-camera image processing by enabling customization of image parameters before capture and offer complete control over sharpening, contrast, brightness, hue and saturation in various color modes.
- 920,000-dot 3-inch VGA LCD monitor with wide, 170-degree viewing angle.
- Live View with Autofocus enables composition of images using the LCD monitor. Two modes are supported: Handheld or Tripod.
- Two Crop Modes: DX format and 5:4 ratio. The DX crop mode can be automatically enabled when a DX lens is attached.
- Quick response: approx. 40 ms shutter-lag and 55 ms viewfinder black-out.
- Highly accurate, durable Kevlar/carbon fiber-composite shutter unit: Standard rating of 300, 000 cycles, with a maximum shutter speed of 1/8,000 sec and flash synchronization at up to 1/250 sec.
- Active D-Lighting enables superior high-contrast images by automatically applying tone compensation at the moment of capture.
- Dual CF card slots: configurable for parallel (simultaneous) or serial (consecutive) recording.
- HDMI video output interface enables connection to high-definition video systems.
- Intuitive ergonomics with optimized button placement for fast and comfortable handling.
- Durable magnesium alloy body built to withstand the rigors of the harshest of environments.
- Wireless LAN and Ethernet support via optional Wireless Transmitter WT-4.
If you wan’t to see more go to the Nikon website they have more images and in depth details.
Also make sure you head over to the mini site Nikon has put up. They have sample images from some top photographers that have been testing out the new toy.
You may also wan’t to download the brochure on the D3x.
Download sample files from this page – full size jpgs.
Leave a Reply